On of the best supported and most collectible sports in Ireland is Soccer, or Association Football as it is more properly called. Many Irish people go to League of Ireland games but most follow English Premiership clubs. Traditionally, our best players moved to England in order to earn a full-time living out of their sport and clubs such as Manchester United, Liverpool and Arsenal have a long history of employing top Irish players. This has, in turn, led to soccer memorabilia being one of the most popular areas of collectibles in Ireland.
Fans collect old medals, autographs, photo’s, jerseys and match day programmes.
The first international representative soccer match played by the Irish Free State was on the 28th May 1924 in Paris, at the Olympic Games. The Irish Free State was blocked by the ‘home unions’ from becoming a FIFA member but the International Olympic Committee welcomed the newly independent Irish Free State to compete.
We won our first international football match against Bulgaria 1-0.
The game was played in the Stade Colombes in Paris in front of 1,500 fans.
The winning goal scored was by Paddy Duncan of St James Gate.
Irish Free State team:
Paddy O’Reilly (Athlone Town), Bertie Kerr (Bohemians), Jack McCarthy (Bohemians), John Joe Dykes – Captain (Athlone Town), Ernie McKay (St James’s Gate), Tommy Muldoon (Athlone Town), Mickey Farrell (St James’s Gate), Dinny Hannon (Athlone Town), Paddy Duncan (St James’s Gate), Joe Kendrick (Brooklyn), Johnny Murray (Bohemians).
- Ireland – International Matches
- Ireland – Inter-League Matches
- FAI Cup Finals
Clips from old games
- Bohemians beat Falls League (Pathe News)
- Bohemians v Shelbourne, Dalymount Park
- St James’s Gate v Shelbourne (Irish Cup, 2nd Round)
- Bohemians v South Africa (?) at Dalymount Park
- Irish Free State v USA, Dalymount Park
- Linfield v Bohemians, in Belfast
- Irish Free State v Glasgow Celtic, at Dalymount Park
- Shamrock Rovers v Bohemians (Cup Final)
- UCD V Queen’s University, at Terenure (Collingwood Cup Final)
- Shelbourne v Shamrock Rovers (IFS Cup, 1st Round)
- Shamrock Rovers win IFS Cup again ! (4 in a row)
- Irish Free State v Belgium, at Dalymount Park (World Cup Qualifier)
- Irish Free State v Norway (World Cup Qualifier), Dalymount Park
- St James’s Gate v Sligo Rovers, at Dalymount Park (IFS Cup Final)
- Cork United v Dundalk, FAI Cup Final
- Ireland are the first foreign team to beat England at home (Ireland 2 : 0 England) at Goodison Park, Liverpool
- Crackpots (Actors) v Inkblots (The Press), at Harold’s Cross (in aid of Cappagh Hospital)
- St Patrick’s Athletic v Waterford, at Dalymount Park (FAI Cup Final Replay)
- Irish fans singing the “Fields of Athenry” in Gdansk (Ireland v Spain)